Most of our "pumpkins" love pasta. Don't hesitate to use whole grain when cooking pasta. When combined with their favourite sauce or grated cheese, your kids won't tell the difference. Make this delicious, easy recipe. The whole grain pasta combined with minced chicken and not beef, makes our meal healthier and lighter than a typical Bolognese.
Ready in : 25 min
Portion: for 4
1/2 kg (1,1 lb.) minced chicken
1 onion coarsely chopped or (1 cup frozen chopped onions)
250 ml (1 cup or 8.5 fl. oz.) tomato sauce or chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dry basil
1 teaspoon dry thyme
1 teaspoon dry oregano
1/4 bunch parsley (1 tablespoon finely chopped - the leaves only)
1/2 cup water
salt, pepper (1tsp salt, 1/3 tsp pepper....our taste)
500gr. (17,6 oz.) whole grain pasta (boiled)
How to do it
1. Fill a large pot with salted water, place on a high heat and bring to the boil.
2. Meanwhile, peel and finely slice the onion.
3. Add the pasta to the boiling water and follow the package directions for the cooking time.
4. Drain the pasta and set aside.
5. Wipe the bottom of the same pot, place it again over medium heat. Add the olive oil and let it get hot. Add the chopped onion, and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add the minced chicken, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. For the next 5 minutes stir and break up the mince until starting to brown.
7. Season with salt and pepper. Add the parsley, the tomato sauce, and the water. Stir well.
8. Reduce to a low heat, then cover and simmer for around 20 minutes, stirring occasionally (1-2 times), until the chicken sauce is thickened and reduced.
9. Serve the pasta with 2 heaping spoonful of sauce. Sprinkle with your favourite grated cheese if you like.
Save 5 min of your time:
Use frozen chopped onions and frozen chopped parsley.
1 onion = 1 cup frozen chopped and
1/4 bunch parsley = 2 tablespoons of the frozen chopped one.